- Daisy Magnus-Aryitey of Code the Dream opened the evening with her origin story and how it led to a career in programming. Her platform, “diverse teams build better products,” explained how friction on teams can lead to better business outcomes. Watch Daisy’s talk here.
- Chad Johnson of Fidelity Investments uses his role and experiences to help his company incorporate more veterans. As a former Marine, he knows firsthand the difficulties of overcoming barriers and recognizing your strengths to gain civilian employment following military service. His Platinum Rule: treat others the way they want to be treated. Watch Chad’s talk here.
- John Adams of Red Hat spoke on ways to make the workplace more welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community. He shared how his company launched RedHat Pride. Their initiatives have included Toastmasters for members and advocacy support through the Love Conquers All mural in Raleigh. Watch John’s talk here.
- Emily Diaz of Spacemaker Collective discussed the importance of inclusive spaces and building bridges to combat isolation that technology can bring. She encourages everyone to create community across divides to eliminate the filter bubble. Watch Emily’s talk here.
- Rahshek Ellis of Syngenta shared how his unease about bringing his whole self to work inspired him to shape the global inclusion policy at his company. He gave the topic a #yummytastic twist and talked the audience through ways to increase the bottom line authentically. Watch Rahshek’s talk here.
- Dana Kuhn of Personify brought up the importance of a work-life balance for working parents. She recognized the need for companies to retain talent by implementing policies for all parents, not just mothers. Watch Dana’s talk here.
Ready for more #RTP180? Our next topic is Agile—reserve your free tickets for the August 16 event.
Thanks to presenting sponsor RTI International for enabling us to provide a platform for our community to share their knowledge. We’re also glad to have UNC-TV as our producer—if you can’t make it to an RTP180, be sure to watch the live stream beginning at 6:00PM EST the day of the show, and follow along with us on Twitter using #RTP180.