For the 2019 Installment of the RTP Honey Beer, we will be partnering with our friends at Bee Downtown and bringing in Bombshell Beer Company to craft our brew. (You may recognize their name; we serve Bombshell beers at every Thursday Happy Hour!) Head brewer Devin Singley says that this will be a local beer through and through: “I think most people tend to see beer as all the same, as one cluster of goods in perfect competition. I’m excited to provide something that is not what people expect. Something that is both old and new. Regional yet largely unknown to the region. You might love it, you might hate it, but this won’t be a beer like every other beer on the market.”
So, we’ve got the honey, we’ve got the beer, and we now need your help with a name! We’re looking to you, our beer aficionados, to guide us in the right direction. To help you decide what to name it, here are the facts:
- Bombshell Beer Company will be brewing a braggot-style beer. Braggot is a historical beer style and tends to vary a good bit. Generally, a Braggot Beer is highly carbonated- giving it a sparkling taste like Champagne. Unlike Champagne, these beers tend to be fuller in body and less dry. Honey drives the body and sweetness. These beers are light in color and low in bitterness.
- The honey used to brew the beer was harvested by Bee Downtown from three hives located on the Frontier RTP campus and three hives at RTP Headquarters at 12 Davis Drive.
- The plan is to use 100% North Carolina malted grains—and to that end, also sourced from The Triangle.
- The yeast will be sourced from a Triangle-based lab.
- Our name will be decided by popular vote.
- The name of the beer will be announced at our Honey Beer Launch Party March 28 from 4:30-6:30.